Ehlers-Danlos Sucks

This is a sub-blog about a girl dealing with Ehlers-Danlos Type 3. I hope to help others while helping myself, my family and my best friend in talking about and gathering all the information that I can about this jerk of a disease.

I have another blog: http://ihatebrainaneurysms.blogspot.com that I started in 2008. My dad was diagnosed with a super huge brain aneurysm which he fought for almost 2 years. He won the battle of the aneurysm, but died due to complications of his treatment following the aneurysm removal. It is his story, in my perspective.

I believe that he had undiagnosed EDS and this caused his aneurysm. I want to be heard and I want the medical community to take notice and to understand that this disease isn't black and white. There are a ton of gray areas. Just because we don't look sick or necessarily feel sick doesn't mean we aren't!!

I hope to keep you interested, I want to hear your stories and I also hope to make you laugh.

Welcome to my blog!!

Friday, January 7, 2011

Seriously????

ARGH!!

My friend Dave and I joined the gym together. But he wanted to eat hot dogs last night and sit on his couch, so I went with my friend Mike. We rocked it out for about two hours and I really wanted to get home to watch the new season of Jersey Shore. Who wouldn't want to do that?? Before we left though, I wanted him to show me how to operate the spin bikes. I want to take a spinning class and I have anxieties about making a fool out of myself in front of people I don't know. Then I would be forced to never leave my house and I would end up on some TLC show for sure.

We go back to the spin room and Mike just basically was like, "Wallah!! These are spin bikes!!"  Well, no shit. I am familiar with the biking industry, I have a very nice bike and I bought a very expensive trainer that I put said bike in and ride in my house. I figured the spin class would make me more motivated to spin but I wasn't quite sure of the mechanics of the spin bike vs a road bike. So, I got on it and started pedaling. Didn't seem too tough. Felt like a normal bike. The resistance on it was set pretty high, which was fine due to my very healthy leg build from riding anyway. :-)  I decide I'm going to go balls out. Like, really hard. I'm pedaling the paint off that shit and when my legs got tired I stopped. Here is what I failed to mention to you; my feet were strapped to the pedals. I didn't know that spin bikes don't "coast" like normal bikes do when you stop pedaling. Therefore, when I stopped pedaling, the pedals kept going, I wasn't prepared for that. They took my feet with them and I heard and felt a loud SNAP!

I ripped my feet out from the glue that was the straps and Mike said , "Oh my God! Are you okay?"  I very politely told him to zip it, and to not talk to me for a minute because both my feet were ripped off my ankles and still in the pedals. I think it took me 2 minutes to get off the bike, where I then acted like I was okay and hobbled into the locker room. There were a bunch of women in there so I excused myself to the sauna where I cried for a few minutes. Went and changed my clothes and went to my car. I called my best friend, told her what I did. She insisted I call Coleman to come get me, but I insisted on driving home. The brake pedal was murder.


That is what my ankle looks like today. Well remember in my previous blog where I mentioned my high school injury from soccer? Well, my doc thinks I may have re-injured it. So, I get to have an MRI next week!!! Now, I am on percocet and in a boot.
See Dave. If you would have went to the gym with me, than this would have never happened. I blame you for this!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment