Ehlers-Danlos Sucks

This is a sub-blog about a girl dealing with Ehlers-Danlos Type 3. I hope to help others while helping myself, my family and my best friend in talking about and gathering all the information that I can about this jerk of a disease.

I have another blog: http://ihatebrainaneurysms.blogspot.com that I started in 2008. My dad was diagnosed with a super huge brain aneurysm which he fought for almost 2 years. He won the battle of the aneurysm, but died due to complications of his treatment following the aneurysm removal. It is his story, in my perspective.

I believe that he had undiagnosed EDS and this caused his aneurysm. I want to be heard and I want the medical community to take notice and to understand that this disease isn't black and white. There are a ton of gray areas. Just because we don't look sick or necessarily feel sick doesn't mean we aren't!!

I hope to keep you interested, I want to hear your stories and I also hope to make you laugh.

Welcome to my blog!!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Really Health Savings Account? Really????

My doc scheduled an MRI for tomorrow. I have a health savings account through my work because, well, I better keep my thoughts to myself if I would like to remain employed. Anyway, let's just say that I do not have group insurance so I get to pay out of pocket the first 2 grand. Then my HSA kicks in and I don't have to pay anymore. Those of you who have a chronic illness knows how bad it sucks paying for co-pays and 20% of whatever your bills are, but you would have to go to the doctor a metric shit ton to pay 2 thousand dollars in a year. Not me!!! I get to shell it out every time I get seen.

Iowa Methodist Medical Center is one of our main hospitals in Des Moines, and that is where it is scheduled. I called there to see what the cost of the MRI would be. After being on hold for awhile, I was told that the estimate would be 5,000 and that DID NOT include the radiologist charge to read it. WHAT?? SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!  I pooped a bit. That is ridiculous. It is MY ANKLE!! NOT MY BRAIN!!  I hate health care. I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!! &%$*! ACH!OAJFOIHJF!!!!!!! SHIIIIIIITTTTT!!!!!

I am sorry. This is the God damn United States of America. I think everyone should have insurance, regardless of where you work, if you work, your past medical history, how much money you have, what color you are or how old you are. It should be a RIGHT that we as citizens should have. I would GLADLY pay more towards my taxes to know that I can go to the doctor when I need to and have my problems taken care of KNOWING that no matter what, I will not go bankrupt because of the insurance that I have. I don't care how it gets fixed, it needs to get fixed. SO SOMEONE FIX IT!!!!

I canceled my MRI. Sorry, I don't want to have to shell out 2 grand for a stupid X-ray. I am not going to die because my ankle is jacked up, so I planned on waiting it out. I was telling my brother about it and he sent me a link that he found somewhere that basically showed what an average MRI costs throughout the nation and the most expensive was in Dallas, TX. It was like 3500. So, I don't know where Iowa Methodist gets off charging 5 grand. That's just BS. The same link also allows you to request a quote, which I did and it came back at 1250. Okay, that's much better. Then I was able to get a personalized quote and it came back at 647 dollars. WTF??? If it is only 647 dollars then WHY does the hospital try to charge people 5 grand??? No wonder people go bankrupt due to health care costs. I think that every procedure should have one cost that is straight across the board and no one can charge more than that.  That way CEO's aren't getting rich and people who can't afford to go to the doctor aren't dying. 

Well, at any rate, the 647 dollar quote also comes with payment up front, so I need to email the gal who sent that to me and let her know that I have an HSA and would need to be billed so I can make payments. We will see if that works. I am betting it won't.

On a good note today, I found a link on Facebook today of Amy Yasbeck, John Ritter's wife. John was one of my favorite actors. Three's Company was my favorite show growing up (My cats names are Roper and Furley) and when John died, I was devastated. He died from an aortic tear that wasn't caught immediately. Amy was on The Talk and she mentions Ehlers-Danlos. Click here to see it : John Ritter.

Another cool thing I found today is this -> Rare Disease Art.  I am a photographer for those of you who may not know and this is an art contest for those who have rare diseases. You have to have one to be eligible to enter, and well since I have EDS, that makes me eligible!! WHOO HOO!!!! Now, to try and think of something neat and eye catching to photograph!! I hope to be inspired soon!!! Deadline for entry is next week!! Wish me luck!!!!

One more thing before I jet. I had my acupuncture on Saturday and OH MY GOD!!! It was freaking AWESOME!!! I loved it!!!! I couldn't even hardly talk afterwards. I made an appointment for next Saturday. Man it was great! I wish I would have done it years ago!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment