Ehlers-Danlos Sucks

This is a sub-blog about a girl dealing with Ehlers-Danlos Type 3. I hope to help others while helping myself, my family and my best friend in talking about and gathering all the information that I can about this jerk of a disease.

I have another blog: http://ihatebrainaneurysms.blogspot.com that I started in 2008. My dad was diagnosed with a super huge brain aneurysm which he fought for almost 2 years. He won the battle of the aneurysm, but died due to complications of his treatment following the aneurysm removal. It is his story, in my perspective.

I believe that he had undiagnosed EDS and this caused his aneurysm. I want to be heard and I want the medical community to take notice and to understand that this disease isn't black and white. There are a ton of gray areas. Just because we don't look sick or necessarily feel sick doesn't mean we aren't!!

I hope to keep you interested, I want to hear your stories and I also hope to make you laugh.

Welcome to my blog!!

Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Years Resolutions

I am writing this tonight instead of tomorrow because I am not sure that I will have the time except for now.  I want to put out my resolutions for this year. I want to put them in print, so I can stare at the words and remind myself that these were important enough for me to decide for myself if I ever so choose to forget.  Here we go!!!

I AM GOING TO BE MORE SELFISH THIS YEAR-

What I mean by this is I am going to make time for ME. This ME time will include EXERCISE. I want to strengthen my muscles to try and stabilize my joints. I will no longer set unrealistic goals with my business ventures that force me to work 18 hour days so I can't take care of myself.

I WILL LEARN TO SAY NO-

Saying no will allow me to get away from setting all of these unrealistic goals. What I offer is what I offer and anything outside of that is NO.

I WILL TAKE TIME OUT TO APPRECIATE WHAT I HAVE-

I have been given a lot in my life and for years I had the attitude that I deserved it. Well, now I am going to stop and smell the flowers, look at what I have, appreciate it, love it and pay it forward.

TRY A MORE HOLISTIC APPROACH FOR MY EDS-

I want to explore more natural substances to take coupled with my exercise to hopefully get off some of the medicines I am on. I have already made an appointment for acupuncture next weekend and I am SO EXCITED to try it!!!!!  I will explore supplements in hopes of creating a more balanced mind, body and soul. Hopefully this will lower my freaking cholesterol!

I don't think that these are unrealistic!! I already quit the hard things which were smoking and drinking. If I can do that than I can do anything.

Here is my philosophy on EDS and this is how I perceive it for ME. I don't want anyone thinking that what I say goes for other people. Everyone has their stories, everyone has their limitations.  When I used to be healthy, strong and athletic, I felt much better about myself. If I work that hard to get that back, I think I will feel better in general. I will have a lot of hurdles to overcome along the way with pain and subluxations, I am no spring chicken anymore, but once I get there I wont need near the medications that I take. I HOPE!  Sitting on my ass whining about my knee pain isn't doing anything for me so now its time to try something new which is DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!

I started tonight with my friend Dave. We joined the gym together and went for the first time. He is actually fit and motivated to go, which will motivate me. I jogged 2 miles and biked about 2. Then I sat in the most wonderful thing that has ever been invented on the planet called a sauna!!!! Oh what a wonderful piece of equipment that is!! I used to go in there with my grandma when I was little at the YMCA but to me then it was a hot room. Tonight it was like being wrapped up in a toasty warm burrito room, all cozy and nice. I have always liked oven hot things, like my car in the summer, a tanning bed, putting the space heater in my office on full blast and shutting the door. I have always wondered if that is just  a weird personal preference or if it was an EDS thing. I have read that some children with autism like heat and being wrapped up. I'm not autistic though.

Well anyway folks, I am logging out so I can watch recorded Millionaire Matchmaker to fall asleep to. I hope you all have a wonderful, pain free New Years. I will definitely keep everyone posted on my progress!!!

PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment